Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"Autsim"

For most of you who know me, you know that my nephew Nathan has autism. My sister Jennifer has 3 boys. Nathan is a twin and was diagnosed with it I believe after he was 2. His twin brother Reed is not, nor is his older brother Connor who is 7. Reed and Nathan just turned 5 in August. I can remember the day they were born. They were scheduled C-section babies, my sister Michelle was to help video tape some of the events. If my memory corrects me she was 38 weeks, so full term for twins. I do believe they were each 7lbs, so they were by all means "healthy" babies. I remember I couldn't get off work so as soon as I was able to get off work, my other sister Michelle called and said that they both came out one right after each other, however I learned that Reed had to be flown to another hospital because he was having a hard time breathing and they wanted to look after him and make sure he was ok and that his lungs were ok also. Well of course that was devastating and with all the drama of just having one baby, having two and worrying about one, I can't imagine what goes through a mom's mind. I knew he would be ok. I got to see Nathan and I just was so much in aw with that little man. He was perfect. He had the bluest eyes and light skin. I of course was jealous that once again another sister having yet another boy.. lol. But there he was, all perfect. Watching him as weeks went on he was great. He was the best baby. He was mellow, don't get me wrong he cried but he would always smile and just kick back. I loved it. I lived pretty far from them but I took Nathan once or twice overnight. He was fine. I didn't mind it at all. I never suspected anything wrong, at that age I don't think anyone would or could. He was typical. I don't remember when but my sister said that she thought that something might be wrong with him. Maybe around the time Reed was talking and walking more than Nathan. I know people told her oh kids do things different, don't compare the two ect. Which can be true but she had the instinct and was around them more than anyone. She took him to his doctor and I believe after some visits and tests they diagnosed him. I have been trying to read up and become more aware of what it really is. I know that it doesn't mean its the end of his life or my sisters. From what I understand the form he has he will be able to function, have a job someday. He has great parents and family around him that he will succeed at whatever he wants. He is super smart. Just look at him. He's made such great progress. I love seeing pictures of him and hearing from my mom and others on how well he's doing. I don't get to see him that often since moving to Wisconsin but I hope someday he knows who I am. He has speech therapy and I know he's speaks alot more now. I always enjoyed taking his picture because out of everyone he always would smile, I'd show him on my camera what I took and he's smile so big. I miss that.

I write about this today because Nov 2nd there is the Autism walk in Phoenix that my sister and family walk in every year. They have been having a dinner and silent auction to raise money for research for Autism also. If anyone wants to donate or participate you can. Here is a link if you want to donate www.walknowforautism.org I know that my sister does a great job with Nathan and he's very lucky. There are some devices, therapies ect that insurances don't cover that could help these kids become more independent and help grow that more needs to be done to help families. SO thanks for taking time to read my blog and enjoy some pics of Nathan. You'll see how wonderful he is, just look at his smile :-)

















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOO tha's very sweet!! Love Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - it brought tears to my eyes all over again and it is amazing how far Nathan has come - he has so much family and teacher etc support - I have a special place in my heart for Nathan as I used to go over every morning and cuddle with him in the rocking chair and he would look up and smile and Jen would say "get him dressed we have to go" and those special moments with him will always be with me - I love the two equally but that smile of Nathans - how could you not have your heart melt - love Mother

Anonymous said...

HI, I just want to say thank you to my sister for putting this up for Nathan. We hope this year we will reach or new goal of donations. We had so much fun last year. Thanks to his Aunt Mel and Grandma Clouse for making the dinner this year. If you can not make the walk please donate anythinkg helps so we can find what this is all about. Love Jennifer

Betty F said...

He's really doing well. Love that picture of him with Aunt Julee.. Is that a harley? LOL.. Love you

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome piece that you wrote there. I know that one day with everyone's help there will be a day when they will be able to detect it early on. I can see in a year how much he has advanced and it is amazing. I know he gives hope to other parenst who have a child with autism. He is very lucky to have such a wonderful family who loves him so much.